Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Pals Are Here

I can't believe it's been so long since my last post! Things got so crazy at Christmas.....things are just finally settling down again.
I want to share with you a new science program we started this week. It's by the same company that publishes Singapore Math...it's called My Pals Are Here....not my favorite title for a science curriculum, but I really like it. It isn't completely aligned, but that's fine with me. For James the only topic not covered is Rocks and Minerals and Hearing...and we already covered those topics.

Anyways, the series starts with grade three and four. The books are organized according to theme, there are five themes-Energy, Life Cycles, Transactions, Diversity, and Systems. Each text booklet has a companion lab booklet. The text booklet are really cute, with lots of grade level vocabulary but not a lot of "blocks of text". The pictures are vibrant and fresh. After each chapter in the book, there is a chart that illustrates the concepts and the relationships between concepts.

This is all five text booklets. 


We have started with the Diversity theme. We are working on classification. The book starts with simple classification, living and nonliving. Then it progresses through classifying animals, plants and materials. It ends with testing building materials. I just love how the books are organized, it simplifies complex concepts and then ties them all together.









This is the text booklet. Love the pictures and illustrations.
 This is the lab booklet. The labs are short and don't require a lot of hand writing. But the questions are thought provoking and can lead into further discussion, and exploration of the concepts.




The thing I love most is that all three kids are interested in listening to the lessons. They all learn, even though the content is considered grade three level.
My four year old son asked me if the black goo from the spider man movie was alive...because it can move on it's own like all living things....so mom it must be alive. :o)


If you have any more questions about My Pals Are Here...please ask.
Nicole Bailey


1 comment:

  1. Those science books look like fun as does the rest of your school. The kiddos are sooo cute :-)

    Stopped over from the homeschool lounge.

    ReplyDelete